Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reading Log #2

     In the book The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk addresses my big question, "How do we accept the unfamiliar?" It's the story of three black sisters that take in a young white girl who has run away from an abusive father in the early 1960's. It's the story of the sisters' willingness to unconditionally accept Lily that helps her to overcome her fear of the unfamiliar and to heal from her past. Being open to their differences and accepting their similarities enable these women to bond together in a way that enables them to grow into their larger destiny.
     This book helped me understand how we accept the unfamiliar by being open and willing to be loved, to look beyond differences, and to realize the strength of community. It helps me to understand when I'm careful and cautious in my relationships, my possibilities and growth are limited. I would recommend this book to other women because it gives hope and courage to look beyond ourselves, our prejudices and our insecurities in order to realize a greater good.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment